Information for Parents/Carers
As parents/carers, you are incredibly influential when it comes to the decisions your child makes about their future. There are many routes open to your child at each stage of their career journey in school, and it important that you understand all available options and that the information you have is as up to date as possible.
When does your child need to make important decisions?
Year 9: Your child will go through the KS4 options process. To help you and your child make informed decisions, we will have options assemblies, options evening and a booklet which outlines all our GCSE/BTEC subjects. Your child will also have an interview with a member of the senior leadership team in school, to ensure that their subject choices are appropriate and aligned with whatever path they wish to take in the future.
Years 10 and 11: At this stage, your child will need to begin thinking about their post-16 options. There are a range of options available and your child needs to stay in education, employment or training until they turn 18. This could be full time education or it might be employment with an element of training. You child will be provided with information about all options available and will have a 1-1 interview with an independent careers’ adviser in Year 10 and again in Year 11.
The main options are:
- A Level or BTEC Study (either here at Moor Park Sixth Form, or at an FE college)
- Employment with training
- T Levels | The Next Level Qualification
Sixth Form: If your son/daughter continues to study with us at sixth form, during Year 12 they will be provided with a range of information, advice and guidance about making their next choices. At the end of sixth form, students choose either to move onto university-level study, a higher or degree-level apprenticeship, or employment. All students are supported with the application process for whichever route they opt for and are also provided with at least 1 interview from an independent careers advisor.
The NCS has a range of information for parents/carers and is a great starting point if you wish to find out more. If there is anything you are still unsure about, please do not hesitate to contact Miss J Morgan, Careers Leader, using the email address firstname.lastname@example.org
NCS Parents’ Guide – What do you need to know?
NCS Parents’ Guide – Apprenticeships
NCS Parents’ Guide – University and Finances
Local University Websites:
- Universities and Colleges Admissions Service:http://www.ucas.co.uk/
- University of Central Lancashire: http://www.uclan.ac.uk/
- Lancaster University :http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/
- University of Liverpool:http://www.liv.ac.uk/
- Liverpool John MooresUniversity:http://www.livjm.ac.uk/
- Liverpool Hope College:http://www.hope.ac.uk/
- Edge Hill College:http://www.edgehill.ac.uk/
- The Liverpool Institute for PerformingArts:http://www.lipa.ac.uk
- The University of Manchester: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/
- The Manchester Metropolitan University: http://www.mmu.ac.uk
- Local Government Jobs:http://www.lgcnet.com/
- Academic Careers Vacancies:http://www.academiccareers.com/
- Appointments for Teachers:http://www.eteach.com/
- Appointments for Teachers:http://www.tes.co.uk/
- Healthcare Jobs: nhscareers.nhs.uk
- British Veterinary Association:http://www.bva.co.uk/
- S.P.C.A.:http://www.rspca.org.uk/ Feature
- Institute of Plumbing: http://www.ciphe.org.uk/
- Industry Training Board:http://www.ecitb.org.uk/
- Institute of Civil Engineers: http://www.ice.org.uk/homepage/index.asp